Monday, December 1, 2008

Our Favorite Christmas Tradition

The topic of the current Carnival of Genealogy is Traditions. What traditions were passed on to you from an earlier generation? Do you keep those traditions? What tradition(s) will you or have you passed on to a younger generation?

When I was a child, my favorite Christmas tradition was baking Christmas cookies. My mom and I made spritz cookies. I got to get my hands green from the food coloring and use a cookie press. That was great fun!

I've continued making Christmas cookies every year, and giving plates of cookies to friends and relatives. My chocolate chip cookies are the most popular, but I still like the spritzes too.

Now my daughters enjoy baking as much as I do. We make spritz, chocolate chip and a few other kinds of cookies. They love getting their hands green from the food coloring and decorating the cookies with lots of sprinkles.

To see links to this carnival and others, go to the Carnival of Genealogy.

1 comment:

Janet Iles said...

I am glad that you and your daughters are carrying on the tradition of making cookies together. I am sure you have lots of fun. It is much more fun when you do it with someone else. I am sure that those who receive your cookies are happy that this is one of your family holiday traditions.

I am not a cookie maker (except for church sales). My mom made cookies though. For a couple of years, the female library staff got together to make cookies for the Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker sale at the library.

My sister and her married daughter get together (doing it this weekend)to make cookies. They have a real baking bee and put the variety of cookies in pretty containers and give these as special from the heart gifts.