Friday, December 12, 2008

Here We Come a Caroling...

Footnote Maven has invited geneabloggers to join her Blog Caroling. So, post the lyrics to your favorite Christmas carol and join in.

It is difficult for me to choose just one favorite Christmas carol because I love Christmas music and have favorites in many categories. Among the Christmas hymns that I grew up with, my favorite is “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel.” I really love the medieval sound of the song. To hear the music, click here

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.

Refrain:
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.

Refrain

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.

Refrain

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.

Refrain

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

Refrain

O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.

Refrain

O come, Thou Root of Jesse’s tree,
An ensign of Thy people be;
Before Thee rulers silent fall;
All peoples on Thy mercy call.

Refrain

O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.

Refrain
-#-

I have a favorite country Christmas song! This is surprising since I am not a big fan of country music. But “Christmas in Dixie” by Alabama is definitely one of my top 5 Christmas songs of all time. Any song that has the line “It’s windy in Chicago…” sounds good to me. You can read the lyrics and hear the song by following this link.

Some of my other favorites include “Angels We Have Heard on High”; “Grown up Christmas List”; “Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy” by Bing Crosby and David Bowie; “I’ll Be Home for Christmas”, the Eagles version; and “White Christmas.”

I feel a sudden need for some hot cocoa. Enjoy the holidays!

No comments: